(From NYSPHSAA Handbook, Bylaws and Eligibility Standards, Section 12 and Sport Specific Standards Section 17.09)
A scrimmage is a practice that is a SIMULATED CONTEST. In scrimmages:
b) game rules must be altered
1. A soccer scrimmage may not exceed a total of 100 minutes per day and unlimited substitutions are permitted.
2. No definite time is set for scrimmage periods; the length of time for the periods of play is to be determined by the coaches, not to exceed 40 minutes in any one period: halves, three periods or quarters.
3. Scoreboards may be used for timekeeping only.
4. The clock will begin with the goal keeper in possession of the ball; when a goal is scored, play will be restarted with goalie possession.
5. The goalie can restart play with a goal kick, goalie throw or goalie punt